A Grade 1 listed Country house. Built 1775-9 by Robert Mitchell for James Brebner Gordon. The estate was held by the More family in the C15 and a large Elizabethan house was built E of present one by the Dalton family in late C16. Moore Place is a substantial, square, red brick house with stone dressings and hipped tile roof. 2 storeys with attics over a basement. A stone balustraded parapet is carried round the whole building with bracketed cornice below. The E and W fronts are 5 windows with Ground and 1st floor 6/6 sash windows. The E Ground floor windows have stone surrounds; those of the W front are in shallow recessed arches with stone dressings. This is the entrance front with central, Adam style door beneath rectangular fan with radiating glazing bars, and flanked by narrow side lights with small half pilasters. In the arched recess above the door is the Gordon coat of arms dated 1779.
The basement is more prominent on the E garden front where the central door has stone surround and rectangular fan with elegant oval motif. The door is approached by quadrant steps with vase patterned wrought iron railings. Large S extension in Georgian revival by Ernest Newton, 1909, of 2 storeys. Red brick, green slate roof, prominent wooden modillion eaves cornice: Ground and 1st floor 6/6 sash windows with folding louvred shutters. 8 window, E elevation has 1st floor, plastered, canted, window bay on S, a central door with deep, bracketed hood, and a 4 bay corner loggia with brick piers and dentil cornice. There is a 3 bay, open arch loggia on the S side and the L shaped W elevation has Ground floor recessed arches imitating those of the main house. On the N side of the house is a plain, single storey service wing by R Norman Shaw, 1888. Excellent Adam style interior.
Central, flagged staircase hall, top lit by dome and with 3 flights leading to 1st floor landing with Ionic column screens in segmental arches on E and N sides, and blank pilaster screens on other walls. Wrought iron, vase patterned balustrading with anthemion and swag motifs. Rich cornicing, door surrounds and marble fireplaces to all principal rooms. Early C19 bookcases in library.
Full Works were instructed by the current owners of Moor Place to undertake a full M and E renovation of the premises. Being of Grade 1 listed Heritage status, Full Works have for the past couple of years worked very closely with local conservation and Heritage to achieve the desired and correct finishes to the building. Full Works have carried out a complete strip out of the old electrical installation through put the building and the stripped out the entire water supply. Full Works have then carried out a brand new electrical installation of all new wiring over the entire premises, installing new sockets and switches throughout, a complete estate CCTV set up, smoke alarms, burglar alarm system, RED Care Police system, heating and plumbing throughout with all new distribution boards in place, main control panel and central station for all. Over 30 radiators, miles of pipe work and wiring have been used in this project. A large industrial boiler has been installed in the basement to feed the vast premises that now has running hot and cold eater along with a full heating system, Individual water heaters have been installed in certain parts of the building to help supplement the hot water.
On top of this Full works were commissioned to transform certain parts of the premises to give these areas more light and open space. In the basement the ceiling have been taken down completely re-designed boarded over and new lighting been installed, along with 9 separate areas in the building of taking out walls, cresting new knock through areas, installing steels in place and putting in bespoke heritage frames and double doors. Full Works have also transformed 4 of the largest bathrooms as per the owners’ specification for 2 modern and 2 heritage bathrooms.
Full Works have also taken down certain chimney stacks on the roof and re-built to heritage guidelines, these have now been completed and look stunning,
This has been a very demanding and challenging project for the past couple of years but now the main M and E installation has been completed we can now concentrate on refurbishing the house back to its former glory.